Can marriage be performed without Kanyadaan

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      anju

Hi Navneet Ji,

Can marriage be performed without kanyadaan? My cousin’s father passed away and she wants to get married but she is not willing to make other people(her father brother’s,etc to do kanyadaan) to sit with her and perform wedding as her parents.Can wedding be held in any temple without parents or kanyadaan?can priest do it?
      please reply.
      Sorry if it is a wrong question or anything wrong.

Thank you.

• #23729 Reply
      K.Umamaheswara rao

Hello,
      When father died,the bride can choose any elder in her relatives to give
      her in kanyadaan.YOur cousin may have some problems with her father’s brother.
      It is not necessary for her to accept his father’s brother for giving kanyadaan.
      Any senior in her father’s relatives or friends can do kanyadaan.
      [email protected]

• #23741 Reply
      TMR

Or they can go the Registrar of Marriage and get the marriage registered without any Kanyaadaan.

• #23744 Reply
      Navneet Khanna
      Keymaster

Kanyaddan can be done through any body in the family or immediate family. It can be her brother, fathers relatives, even her mama (mothers brother) can do the Kanyadaan. However mother has to be present in the ceremony.

Blessings,

Navneet Khanna
      Astrologer

• #23892 Reply
      anju

Thank you for your reply sirs.
      She is not in a position of accepting anyone doing kanyadaan as her parents(as there are many family n personal issues).
      Is there any way where marriage can be performed without kanyadaan in any north or south Indian style or only choice is register marriage.
      Please forgive if wrong question or concept.

Thank you.

• #24066 Reply
      anju

Sir,Please reply.

• #24068 Reply
      K.Umamaheswara rao

Hello,
      She can put photos of husband of wife(who are dead elders in family) and they can be supposed to
      give kanyadan.
      Or She can put the photos of Rama and Sita and can be supposed that they are performing kanyadan.She can put photos of Siva Parvati or some other photos.
      But this is done very rarely.
      Any local elder(or MLA) family(who are reputed)can also give kanyadan.
      [email protected]

• #24817 Reply
      Malti

Respected Sir, the question is that the girl wants to do away with this ceremony. It seems she was very attached to her father and doesn’t want anyone else to take his place. Can our Vedas has any procedure to deal with a genuine problem. Please search and do help the girl getting married as per traditions. Thanks

• #24818 Reply
      TMR

Marriage is union of body, mind and soul of the opposite sexes. There is no need of any permission for this marriage. Rituals are just for the society’s conviction and give some publicity to the event. Marriage registration is needed as per law of the country. So to marry, there is no need of anyone’s permission except by the boy and girl involved. This is my view of the custom. The highly superstitious one insists of many other rituals before and after marriage. You can follow them or not. By not following them also, progenies do take birth and life goes on.

• #37221 Reply
      Deboleena

My parents will never accept my relationship but i want to get married traditional way. No one from my family will be present there. Who can do my kanyadaan? Is kanyadaan necessary in traditional marriage?

Viewing 9 reply threads
Reply To: Can marriage be performed without Kanyadaan
Your information: