This festival of Dhanteras falls in the month of Kartik (Oct-Nov) on the thirteenth day of the dark fortnight or Krishan paksh. This auspicious day is celebrated two days before the festival of lights, Diwali. This day is regarded as the birth Anniversary of the God Dhanvantari, the physician of the God who is an incarnation of Lord Vishnu, who came out during the Samundra anthan, during the Churning of the ocean by the Gods and the demons.
Dhan means wealth and theras means thirteenth. This day has important significance not only because of material wealth but also because of spiritual wealth associated with this day. It is the special moment to welcome Maa Laxmi, who is worshipped on the auspicious day of Diwali.
This Year Dhanteras is on Friday 13th November 2020.
Some of the things that should be encouraged on the day of Dhanteras are:
- Feeding the Holy Cow is highly auspicious.
- Light Earthen Lamp / Diya in the evening.
- Buy new Utensils but avoid buying leather items, knives and other sharp edge items.
- Buying Metal is auspicious, depending upon a person’s budget to spend. It is a good moment to buy Gold coins, Silver coins, Brass items.
- Not to forget the day belongs to the Physician of the Gods, so donate medicines, eye drops, and ear drops to needy people.
It will be a most wonderful period for those who have a Girl child born on this auspicious day, It will be the true arrival of Goddess Lakshmi Herself to bless the family with good luck and good fortune.
I wish you all a very happy and Prosperous Dhantrayodashi. Please do write your comments below 🙂